As you may know, all last month I was away for work, living out of my suitcase in a hotel room.
The event is now done and people are back home after a week filled with activities.
I’m exhausted, but happy all went as well as it could and I take this opportunity to thank all that were involved and contributed to make this week a success.
The hardest part after such a rush is feeling a bit empty and coming back to a routine. You know: laundry; grocery shopping; meal preparation; etc. I’m not quite there yet. I unpacked the night I came home, but I haven’t made my bed in two days and my clothes lie by the washing machine, waiting for me to muster up the energy to start a load.
It’s a normal process and I’m giving myself a break, knowing, as I rest, that things will naturally return to normal.
- Photo: Sébastien Guillier Sahuqué
But how did I fair with my month worth of packing you ask?
Well I was very close to the perfect packing list, but I could have done with fewer items.
Here are the items I didn’t use/wear:
- 1 pair of pants; the dressy ones
- 1 short skirt: one didn’t get used and another I only wore once
(note to self, skirts are not that comfortable when you’re running around and have to ”wear” a walky-talky AND a cell phone. Shorts with a belt are better!)
- 1 dress – I had planed to wear it a the Cocktail/Opening Ceremony, but never had time to change
- 1 bathing suit (emmm what was I thinking?)
- 1 hat (I always bring one, but rarely wear it, except on roadtrips in a convertible)
- 1 fitness kit (wishful thinking, I REALLY had NO time)
- 1 curling iron (as suspected, I didn’t use it)
My packing could have been even lighter and I’m taking notes for next time. But everything else got used multiple times and I even had time to go to the laundromat a couple days before the Games started so all my clothes were freshly washed and ready to go.
When you only get 4 hours of sleep per night for a week, having clean, organized clothes to put on in the morning is a great thing.
Now I have to think about packing for a 2 week trip to California coming up in a couple weeks. My goal is to go carry-on only.
I’ll let you know how I do. If you have any advice, please write a comment below.